So lots of people choose to trim, shave, or wax the hair around their genitals, known as pubic hair, or pubes. They might do this because
- They think it looks better
- They want to make their penis look bigger
- They prefer the feel of having fewer or shorter pubic hairs
- They think that their partner might prefer it (for example, to reduce the chance of pubes getting in the mouth during oral sex)
- Porn performers often have very trimmed pubic hair* and they may want to look like that (do people really do this?!)
- It might be a cultural thing**
All fair enough. If you want to trim, shave or wax your pubes then do it: they are your pubes you can do what you like!
However, it’s important to know that pubes have a function. They help to lubricate and protect the genitals. They prevent friction burns if you like rubbing genitals with someone else (which is very popular apparently).
I’ve heard stories of people shaving or waxing their pubes and getting a rash or little spots, and then freaking out that they might have an infection. But this is commonly because of either friction burns or ingrowing hairs caused by waxing/shaving.
Also it’s thought that pubic hair can help to release our own natural scent which makes us attractive to other people (pheremones). But I wouldn’t advise that you deliberately grow your pubes really long in order to attract someone! Lots of people might not like this smell and choose to shave or trim: that’s fine. But also know that the smell is natural and meant to be there.
* Porn performers have trimmed hair because it’s then easier to see what’s going on. Also porn is very visual and people making porn think that people watching porn don’t want to see loads of hair, especially as the camera is pointing at people’s genitals for such a long time. Some might argue that porn performers, especially female porn performers, wax their pubic hair to make them look younger than they are.
** Pubic and body hair in general is often culturally specific. In some cultures pubic hair removal is seen as a normal thing to do. Also it seems to be accepted amongst most people in the UK (for example) that women should shave their legs and/or armpits.
Shout outs to Team Bish for reviewing this for me especially @crowjake and @marmaladelucy